Monday, September 5, 2011


Honus & Me

There are three reasons I picked this book.  The first reason is it was short enough for me to read in a short period of time.  The second reason is my brother and I read a book, Satch and Me, in the series and really enjoyed.  The final reason is that I read The Homework Machine, a book by the same author, Dan Gutman, which I really liked.  I think my next book will be in the same series. 
I had two favorite characters.  One of my Favorite characters was Joey or better known as Stosh, a main character.  My other favorite character was Honus, another main character.  The reason Stosh and Honus are my favorite characters is because the story is based on them and it is hard to know what other people are doing.  Another reason is because they were both interested in Baseball.  I wonder who will be the main character in my next book. 
There was one main problem in the story, which was that Stosh was not a good baseball player.  When Stosh is cleaning one of his neighbor’s attics, he stumbles across a valuable Honus Wagner T-206 baseball card.  That night while holding the card, Stosh wishes he could meet Honus in real life.  Honus appears and tells Stosh, “The key to being a great baseball player is to trick yourself into thinking you are one.” Later in the book, Stosh is playing in the last game of his little league season.  It was bottom of the sixth, the last inning.  Stosh hits a triple and ends up stealing home. His team wins the game. Stosh has clearly improved as a baseball player. 
This book made me think about what it was like back in the past.  Was there slavery?  Was the World Series different?  Did Honus have an interesting life when he was a child?  I wonder were Dan Gutman gets all these facts. 
I think I would read more books by Dan Gutman.  I would do this because all the books I’ve read by him I have enjoyed.  Another reason I would enjoy another one of his books is because you can read out of order in the series and still get what is going on.  I also like how he has multiple mini plots.  For example when two women frame Stosh and Honus needs to get to the World Series in 1909.  Not like in Star Wars when Luke needs to defeat the evil Darth Vader. 

No comments:

Post a Comment