Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Alchemist

     I read the alchemist this summer because I heard it was a nice classic.  I enjoyed reading it when the parts got interesting.  For example, when Santiago was turning himself into the wind.  However, I didn't like the parts that were very philosophical.  For example, when Santiago is discussing the omens.  I think this may be a book worth reading depending on ones interests.  
    My favorite character was probably the merchant because he was the most simple yet slightly complex.  The only times he was ever complex was when he was talking about his religion, Muslim.  However, one reason I enjoyed his simplexes was because he was the one character that didn't feel solid.  It felt like I could mold him any way I wanted.  For example, if I wanted to I could make him a businessman making a living off of selling crystals as merchandise.  Even though the crystal merchant was my favorite character, all of them were very intriguing.  
                 My favorite part of the story is when Santiago is crossing the dessert with the Alchemist.  I liked this especially because I had never really seen an Alchemist before in a book.  It was funny for me because when I thought of an Alchemist, somebody who can turn lead into gold, as somebody who isn’t greedy.  I was also surprised when the Alchemist had so much to do with Personal Legends, a goal that somebody or something wishes to achieve.  I enjoyed all of the surprises there were in the book for me. 
         Even though, on a scale of 1-10 I would rate it a 5, I would say it is worth reading.  Even though it may have a slow start, a 5 is good enough to power through until the end.  Hope you like it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment